Such an exciting weekend to be in Detroit! So many events to go to! Sadly, because my grandparents only have one 60th anniversary, I’m off to the great Up North for some family fun. But here’s the rundown of things that I am bummed to be missing:
– The Woodward Dream Cruise – Hard to put into words, the Cruise is a feast of cars and a celebration of all-things auto. Truly one of the greatest events this city puts on, to understand the magnitude and enthusiasm of the Cruise is to understand Detroit Besides being the “World’s Largest Automotive Event” it’s a circus of car-lovers and detroit-lovers that park their folding chairs along Woodward to cheer on the Motor City.
– A Glass Act – Northern Lights Lounge is having three glass blowers come in for a night of drinks and art. I could watch glass blowing artist for HOURS (which I did once during an excruciating family vacation to Dollywood) so to sit back with a drink and watch these artists then take some of that art home with me to relive the experience ever time I pour an Oberon into a handmade glass blown pint glass sounds like some kind of wonderful.
– The Fucking Awesome Fest – What more is there to say? Three days of over 50 fucking awesome bands playing at the Majestic. Top of my list would be The Hood Internet, a Chicago based remixing duo worthy of a listen. See what music monster JayeL Audio has to say about them
– The Canfield Street Market – Two of my favorite words: handmade and vintage
– Pewabic Pottery Sale – Beautiful Detroit-famous pottery art is 30-50% off! You have to be a member but that’s easy! The HGTV star wannabe in me would love to retile my fireplace and these creamy, pastely, patterny wonders. But I don’t have a fireplace.
So get out and enjoy these events and hope that I survive a weekend of family-fueled camping for another week of reporting on where Detroit Happens.